Congratulations! So finally your long awaited bundle of joy is about to arrive. This is the most exciting time of your life but you are also equally nervous about the things you will need for the baby. First time mothers, especially find it hard to decide the basic things needed for a new baby. This article will help you plan the list of baby products you may need for a new baby.
A new baby requires lots of things and you may be worried about what to and what not to buy. Here I will give you a list of some basic things you need for a new baby.
Clothes are the basic necessity for a new born baby. You can buy the following clothes for your little one
- A few basic baby clothes like baby vests, at least half a dozen; and sleep suits made out of cotton.
- Light jackets or cardigans for warmth.
- Baby crochet hats or caps, to be worn when the baby is taken outdoors.
- Socks, baby scratch mittens and booties.
- Winter coats to protect your baby from cold winds.
- Disposable or terry diapers. If you are using terry diapers, then also use plastic top pants. Don’t forget to carry an extra diaper when you are going out.
- Burp cloths and bibs are essential when you are feeding the baby as babies tend to splatter food around them (they actually enjoy doing it!) and dirtying you and themselves.
Bathing a baby is an enjoyable experience, but you must also ensure that you use only baby care products for it. Let’s take a quick look at the things you need for a new born baby for its bath
- Bubble bath is a big no-no as it may risk your baby’s sensitive eyes. You may use baby care products like No-tears shampoo, especially made for kids.
- Use baby wipes made of cotton wool or a soft cotton towel to gently wipe your baby dry.
- Baby powder to make your baby smell and feel good.
- A new born baby may also tend to have dry skin, so it will be helpful if you keep a moisturizer or baby lotion handy.
- Nails in babies grow very fast, so always clip your baby’s nails with baby nail clippers.
Feeding Things You Need for a New Baby
Babies are usually fussy eaters; when it comes to feeding them, they tend to throw away a bowl or bottle kept in front of them. Ensure that you buy plastic feeding bottles and bowels to avoid breakage. Some feeding things you would require are:
- Feeding bowls
- Drinking cups or sippers with spouts.
- Baby formula milk or powder (but use it when your baby is three months old).
Apart from these things needed for a new baby, you would also require other baby care items to be kept handy like:
- Sheets or baby blankets, to cover your baby while sleeping.
- Cribs and baby bedding with soft mattress.
- A musical toy hanging over the crib to help the baby drift off to sleep.
- A perambulator or stroller when you take your baby for an outing or a little stroll.
- A pacifier or soother to calm it down when it cries.
- Baby diapers made of soft cotton material and disinfected.
- A sling or a baby bag to carry your baby.
Taking care of your new born is a wonderful experience. Be well prepared before your baby arrives and get things you need in advance, instead of hurrying down to the mall every time you need something.